Home > Brew session, BrewzNET > Ghostbusting

Ghostbusting

I have been chipping away at my to-do list in BrewzNET. One of the more notable items I’ve completed was implementation of a multi-frame static class / animated class. I have also moved away from the file path mode of storing images in favor of a single resource file that accompanies the XML text property file, which has unfortunately broke some functionality too. I’ll have to post a screenshot or maybe a video once I’ve got something worthy of sharing, but things are running pretty smoothly.

granttest20090215Alot of the time has been tracking down ghosts in the machine – things that SHOULD work, but for whatever reason choose not to. 95% of the time it is my fault, but sometimes it is just weird. The one that consumed most of my time this weekend was figuring out why my timer instances weren’t firing for the animations and the serial comm watchdog… as it turns out, there are two Timer classes in .NET, and one of them sucks hardcore – of course it was the one I was using. I found that by switching from System.Windows.Forms.Timer to System.Threading.Timer, all of my problems seemed to go away and things worked as expected. In hindsight this seems pretty intuitive for reasons that are too geeky to waste words on, but suffice it to say – All better.

I still have to find why the hell my sparge rate calculation fires off erratically sometimes and generates bad numbers. I am leaning more and more to poor hardware-side variable management.

The french ale from last weekend is done fermenting, and was essentially complete within 48 hours of the yeast kicking off. I obviously pitched a good amount of yeast, and it was very healthy – both airlocks blew out within 24 hours. The aromas from the airlock during fermentation were very pleasant, with strong ripe fruit overtones. I kept temperatures between 66 and 72 degrees, within the recommended range for for WLP072, so it was hopefully a pretty clean fermentation too.

Next brew day will likely be the weekend of Feb 28th – My friend Brian and I will be brewing 30 gallons of a Scottish 70/- (OG around 1.040), which will hopefully prove to be a good session beer. Anyone who knows my gear is probably scratching their head wondering “How is he going to fit 33 gallons of wort in a 26 gallon kettle??” – simple, I am not. We are brewing 20 gallons to an OG of 1.055 and will dilute the beer down with 1.5 gallons of cold water in each 5 gallon fermenter, yielding the 1.040 gravity. I have some minor trepidation of the beer tasting “watered down”, but its a session beer, right?

I may bust out the mash tun and pressure canner next weekend to make up more starter wort since I am down to my final couple of jars, but I may not. We’ll have to see if I am feeling up for it.

Advertisements
Categories: Brew session, BrewzNET
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: